Lower Bermudian Lutheran Church is the oldest Lutheran church in Adams County. The history of the church dates back to 1745, when it was established by a group of German-speaking people of the Lutheran & German Reformed Churches.
The congregation met in homes until 1745, when one of the Reformed congregants offered two acres of land for a union church to be built. The first church was a log cabin, known as “Longgreens.” On March 2, 1795, formal plans were made for a new building, which was to be made of stone & lime. The work was done by Valentine Fickes. This union church was sometimes unofficially referred to as “Zion’s.” Repairs & renovations were made in 1820. In 1871, the Reformed congregation sold its interest in the property to the Lutherans, and a cornerstone was laid at a new brick building known as Mt. Olivet on the opposite side of the road.
Just 8 years later in 1879, the Lutherans razed their old building & erected a new brick building, which is used for worship today. In 1950, significant improvements were made to the sanctuary & basement, and heating system.
Historic details & photo in this post are from “The Wheels of Time II,” by the East Berlin Founder’s Day Committee (2014).